Writers impose constraints on writing texts to push their language, imagination, and ingenuity in new directions. The OULIPO is group of writers based in Paris that have made constraint-based writing famous. For information about the group, and an article on the most famous author and novel written by them, see below.
- What is the Oulipo?
- “The Invention of Forms: Perec’s Life A User’s Manual and a Virtual Sense of the Real.” SubStance 74 (Vol. XXIII,2): 56-85.
I have written a series of texts called “Vowel Movements,” which use only one vowel at time. Follow the links or consult the publications below for samples.
- Alpha Rap live with David Ornette Cherry!
- “Greed.” LMU Magazine. Volume 7, Number 2, Summer 2017: 29-31 (A text on this deadly sin, written without a,i,o, or u.)
- “Der Fest-Text Jest.” SubStance: A Journal of Theory and Literary Criticism. (Issue #100, Vol. 32, No. 1, 2003): pp. 5-10. (A tribute to the literary journal on the occasion of its 100th issue.)
- “Time and Emergence in the Evolutionary Epic, Naturalistic Theology, and J.T. Fraser’s Hierarchical Theory of Time.” Kronoscope: Journal for the Interdisciplinary Study of Time: 12:2 (2012) 147-158.